Inspire News: By Students, For Students

Purple Pages

Purple Pages

Inspire News: By Students, For Students

Purple Pages

A bike path off of the Skyway, part of the intended Valleys Edge development.
To the Edge Of the Valley
Margareta Grant-Dreher, Reporter • April 15, 2024

Valley’s Edge is a 1,448 acreage housing development that encompasses about 13 miles of land from East 20th street to the Honey Run area. The...

Jaxon Strausbaugh (9), Morgen Resier (10), Zeno Beutenmueller (12), Shania Ruggenberg (11), Quinn Anderson (12), and Zander Renzi (12) working on a photo.
Best year yet for SkillsUSA
Andres Coronel, Comic Artist • February 26, 2024

With the 2024 SkillsUSA Regionals competition coming to a close, results have been revealed for the next batch of State Competitors. This competition...

The boarded up parking lot of the old downtown 7-11 building
Safe Space Shut Down
Elliott Herlihy, Graphic Designer • February 19, 2024

In Chico, there is a clear and present issue with the amount of people that are unsheltered, and oftentimes living on the streets. There are...

Snapshot from security footage during the incident.
Altercation leads to alleged stabbing downtown
Julian Manning, Editor • February 13, 2024

On Wednesday, January 31, at approximately 12:11 PM, an altercation between several Chico High and Inspire students escalated into a stabbing...

Alyssa Christensen (10), Rylee Culter (10), Lily Massa (12), and parent helper Raquel Karach all painting a background for anything goes.
Behind the Anything Goes! curtain
Lilah White, Writer • February 13, 2024

Many naturally crave to see and create arts and theatricals. People star in everything from movies to common high school plays. Many commonly...

Staff Recruitment

Here We Go Again

A peek backstage into Inspire’s musical performance of the year
Reagan Gibson (11) prepares their stage look.

Mamma Mia is our spring musical this year, and with such an amazing cast, it will be a masterpiece. Taking place in Kalokairi, a fictional Greek town, it follows a young girl preparing for her wedding, who makes a plan to invite three men who could possibly be her father.

Classmates brought it to life, building huge sets and designing flashy costumes. Most Inspire students will only see the outward appearance, but what goes on backstage?

Some ‘Theater Kids’ choose to speak with us about their experiences behind the scenes.

“My favorite part [of rehearsal] is that despite everyone being under stress, everyone is still kind and understanding to each other, helping with notes or choreography.” states cast member Zoe Vandeusen (10)

And let’s not forget about crew!

“I had a lot of fun setting up for the sitzprobe! Seeing all the different instruments was cool!” Crew member Ray Kohler (12) mentions.

But these fun times were contrasted with hard experiences. Long rehearsal hours, challenging choreography and lots of memorization, to name a few.

New to Inspire theater, cast member Max Hartmann (9) comments “The thing that has been the hardest is definitely the super late rehearsals on school nights.”

But the cast got through it! “Something I’ve overcame is dancing because I’ve never really liked dancing. I’ve been getting better at it and working harder at it.” adds actor Jacob Godown (10)

So much time and work was put into this year’s spring musical. Be sure to get tickets in IC-1 or online at inspirechico.org/events. Hope to see you there!