Inspire News: By Students, For Students

Purple Pages

Purple Pages

Inspire News: By Students, For Students

Purple Pages

Classroom to Caregivers
Classroom to Caregivers
Lochlin Bly, Wirter • May 6, 2024

Inspire School of Arts and Sciences once again showcases its students’ strong aptitude and continuous high achievements with three of our students...

Image of the purple pages team. Far left, Mr.Peek. On his right, KK Khant. On their right, Vivian Conery. On their right, Nylo Drummand. On their right, Phoebe Parks.
Fun at The Faire!
Margareta Grant-Dreher, Reporter • April 29, 2024

Last saturday, On April 20th, the city Chico gathered together for an Earth Day celebration at the endangered species faire. This event usually...

A bike path off of the Skyway, part of the intended Valleys Edge development.
To the Edge Of the Valley
Margareta Grant-Dreher, Reporter • April 15, 2024

Valley’s Edge is a 1,448 acreage housing development that encompasses about 13 miles of land from East 20th street to the Honey Run area. The...

Jaxon Strausbaugh (9), Morgen Resier (10), Zeno Beutenmueller (12), Shania Ruggenberg (11), Quinn Anderson (12), and Zander Renzi (12) working on a photo.
Best year yet for SkillsUSA
Andres Coronel, Comic Artist • February 26, 2024

With the 2024 SkillsUSA Regionals competition coming to a close, results have been revealed for the next batch of State Competitors. This competition...

The boarded up parking lot of the old downtown 7-11 building
Safe Space Shut Down
Elliott Herlihy, Graphic Designer • February 19, 2024

In Chico, there is a clear and present issue with the amount of people that are unsheltered, and oftentimes living on the streets. There are...

Staff Recruitment

Festive Inclusivity

Exploring Holidays throughout Inspire and the world with Mrs. North.

The holidays are a time of celebration and joy, but many people are unaware of how many different holidays there actually are. Evita North, an advisory and economics teacher, gave her input on holidays and some of the festivities she participates in. “Towards the end of October, I started to celebrate Undas, which in the Philippines is a two-day celebration, like a Day of the Dead in Mexico, and so you really use that time to honor your family and sacrifice, and give a chance for human connection.” (Evita North)

North is not the only one that celebrates these holidays in November and December, such as Hanukkah (Han•o•kah), Hogmanay (Haag•muh•nay), and Diwali (Duh•vaa•lee).

Hanukkah is commonly celebrated by people of the Jewish faith, it lasts 8 days – this year it will take place from December 18th through the 26th – and is a celebration of The Second Temple of Jerusalem. Some of the typical foods eaten during the holiday include potato latke (pancake) which is covered in the option of apple sauce and/or sour cream. A popular game played during Hanukkah is called Dreidel, a spinning top with a Hebrew letter inscribed on each of the four sides. The player spins the top and wins with whatever letter the top lands on.

Meanwhile in Scotland, Hogmanay is the celebration of New Year’s Eve held on December 31st. Being the last day of the year, this tradition is held dear to many large cities such as Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Aberdeen. One of the many traditions of Scotland’s New Year is fireball swinging. Occurring at Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, this is a popular event in which local people make fireballs by taking clumps of newspaper and wrap in chicken wire, promptly setting them on fire and swinging them above their heads as they walk to the Cannon.

Moving over to India, Diwali is a widespread celebration centering on positive fortune and good over evil, as well as the human capability to overcome. The name comes from a Sanskrit term meaning, “row of lights.” The celebration lasts five days and while the celebration has different meanings to different religious groups, it holds many of the same traditions, such as decorating their homes with clay lamps and creating designs and patterns on the floor. These patterns are called rangoli, and are made using colored powders or sand.

With Christmas just around the corner, it’s crucial to recognize holidays that are nontraditional in the U.S as a way to expand diversity within our community. We always encourage readers to broaden their horizons by seizing an opportunity to learn something new, so open your mind to exploring new traditions this holiday season.

Source:
Evita North