Inspire News: By Students, For Students

Purple Pages

Purple Pages

Inspire News: By Students, For Students

Purple Pages

Upholding Hygiene Standards

Keeping bathroom stalls functional

Although bathrooms may not be the most used part of campus, they are still a necessary part for everyone. Having clean and functional restrooms is an integral part of having a functional campus that serves the needs of both students and staff.
Recently, there have been problems with students leaving stalls in an unusable state, particularly in the girls restroom on the front end of campus. Unflushable objects being left in toilets have been stopping many from using the bathroom when needed, and creating long lines to use the stalls that are still in use.
Lines to use bathrooms are bad enough during passing periods, but having one or more stalls in the bathroom unusable amplifies the time standing in an awkward line, and possibly making those in the line late to class.
This is also very important in men’s restrooms, where stalls are in short supply over urinals. Many complain about the lack of stalls in men’s restrooms, and especially for those who are AFAB, making sure stalls are usable is even more valuable.
In the women’s restroom, there have been signs placed on the insides of stalls reminding people to flush toilets when they are finished, and trying to persuade people to keep the bathroom clean. It is unsure whether these have been working or not, but regardless there should not have to be signs to remind people to keep shared essential spaces clean and functional.
By using the restroom, you benefit from janitors, custodians, and other students keeping it clean and nice for you. The least you can do is leave the bathroom in a similar (or better) state than when you entered it. This can be done by wiping down counters that may have spills on them, flushing toilets, using a reasonable amount of toilet paper, not using the disabled stall and leaving it free for those who are unable to use the other ones, and alerting staff if a stall is out of order.
All of this should be common practice, especially at a high school, but it remains (not even just at Inspire) that bathrooms are still trashed. Taking care of public spaces can even be just not purposefully making a mess. Doing your part is easy, so please remember that others have to use the bathroom after you, and to keep it clean and functional.